The De Hoop Reserve is situated East of Cape Agulhas, a mere three hours’ drive from Cape Town on the world renowned Garden and Whale Routes – an ideal stop over en route from the Cape Winelands to Plettenberg Bay. It is in the Overberg region near the southern tip of Africa and can be approached from either Bredasdorp or Swellendam. The Overberg area is characterised by quaint towns, a blossoming wine industry and delicious local dishes. The 36 000 hectares of De Hoop conservation area is a World Heritage Site comprising rich biodiversity and by over 70 kilometres of pristine coastline. A 19 km vlei (wetland) stretches across the reserve, which is on the Ramsar list of Wetlands of International Importance. The Opstal also boasts 2 magnificent Natal Wild Fig Trees, planted in 1956 by the Department of Nature Conservation after the purchase of ‘The Hope’ farm. The larger of the 2 trees has a diameter of 7 meters and total length of 18meters from the longest branch to the opposite end – making it an absolute must-see.
GPS Coordinates : 34°27’15.08” S | 20°23’58.63” E
- Conservation Fee: R40.00 per person. Applies to day visitors and overnight guests. Free to WILDCARD Members
- Gates open at 07h00 and close at 18h00 (except Fridays – open until 19h00)
- Self-drive from Cape Town (scenic route approximately 3.5- 4hours):
Take N2 to Caledon. From Caledon drive on the R316 through Napier to Bredasdorp. From Bredasdorp continue on the R316 down Long Street and turn left at the Caltex Toyota Garage onto All Saints Road and take the R319 to Swellendam out of town for about 6kms and then turn right – sign posted De Hoop / Malgas / Infanta. Travel on the gravel road for 33kms until you see a sign to the right – BUCHU BUSHCAMP / DE HOOP. It is 7km from this turn off to the Main Gate of the Park and a further 8km to the office.
- From Swellendam: drive on N2 for 13km in the direction of Cape Town, turn left onto gravel road, signed Spitskop. Continue on this road for about 32km until you reach a T-junction. Turn left at the T-junction signed Malgas / Infanta and travel approximately 2km before you turn right onto the De Hoop Pad signed BUCHU BUSHCAMP / DE HOOP. It is 7km from this turn off to the Main Gate of the Park and a further 8km to the office.
- All the roads in the reserve are also gravel except for a short tarred section at the entrance.