It’s the season for merriment and time spent with loved ones – and nothing goes quite as well with family and friends as good food! We asked Chef Marcia to whip up a Festive Favourite that you can enjoy with your nearest and dearest these holidays. Here we go, Haloumi, Courgette and Herb Cakes with Chilli Dressing.
Ingredients for Cakes:
2 Carrots peeled and grated
1 Courgette Grated
500g Haloumi cheese grated
2-4 Spring Onions chopped
2 tbsp Coriander chopped
2 tbsp Mint chopped
2 Free range eggs lightly beaten
2-4 tbsp Bread crumbs
Olive oil for frying
Salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for the Chilli Dressing:
1 Red chilli, finely sliced
2cm pieces of fresh ginger, peeled and finely diced
2 tsp Castor sugar
2-3 tsp Rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp Olive oil
Pinch of salt
- In a bowl mix the carrots and courgettes. Tip them into a clean tea towel and squeeze out the excess water.
- Put the haloumi, carrot and courgette mixture, spring onion, coriander and mint into a bowl, season and mix. Add eggs and mix. Stir in 2 tbsp of the breadcrumbs. The mixture should be sticky enough to form into patties. If not, add more breadcrumbs and shape into 8 large patties (10cm thick) or 16 smaller ones. Leave uncovered for 20 minutes to firm up.
- Meanwhile put the dressing ingredients into a bowl and stir well until sugar has dissolved. Taste and season if necessary.
- Once you’re ready to cook. Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add some olive oil and fry the cakes until golden and crisp and hot all the way through.
- Serve cakes hot with a spoonful of the chilli dressing.