Please contact us to help you tailor-make your De Hoop Reserve experience. We have something for everyone including families travelling on a limited budget, guests seeking a comfortable but affordable breakaway or couples looking for a luxurious fully-inclusive honeymoon.
Tel: +27 (0)21 4224522 | Reserve Emergency No: 071 260 7805
Important Info About Your Stay:
- Our stunning coastline, Koppie Alleen, is situated approximately 13km from our accommodation. Those who are fit as fiddles might find a strenuous cycle suitable, alternatively, a drive in your vehicle will take you 25min.
- The Fig Tree Restaurant is quite the place to be and therefore packed; in high season especially. Please ensure that you book a table for dinner to secure your spot.
- Our activities are weather and tide dependant and is best booked by yourself a day in advance or once you arrive. We can also book for you well in advance but bear in mind that the weather and tide will have the last say.
- Cape Nature does not allow driving around on the reserve after sunset. We have permission though for driving between our cottages and restaurant once the sun has set.
- For guests staying in the Opstal area - Most of our guests opt to walk to the restaurant at night; and what a lovely walk it is! The cottages located the furthest from the restaurant is less than a 10min walk away. Just remember to carry a torch with you! Torches are provided in our suites only and not in self-catering units.
- The nearest petrol pump is a 15-20min drive away and only open Mon-Fri during business hours and until 12h on a Saturday. Best fill up before arrival in the last town you pass – Bredasdorp, Riviersonderend or Swellendam.
- If you are self-catering, please ensure that you bring all your supplies. Our curio shop sells wood, firelighters and meat but it really is a gift shop and not a food shop.
- Firewood can be purchased at our Curio Shop or you are welcome to bring your own. We provide complimentary firewood in our Suites that have fireplaces only.
Getting to De Hoop - Location
The De Hoop Reserve is situated East of Cape Agulhas, a mere three hours’ drive from Cape Town on the world renowned Garden and Whale Routes – an ideal stop over en route from the Cape Winelands to Plettenberg Bay. It is in the Overberg region near the southern tip of Africa and can be approached from either Bredasdorp or Swellendam. The Overberg area is characterised by quaint towns, a blossoming wine industry and delicious local dishes. The 36 000 hectares of De Hoop conservation area is a World Heritage Site comprising rich biodiversity and by over 70 kilometres of pristine coastline. A 19 km vlei (wetland) stretches across the reserve, which is on the Ramsar list of Wetlands of International Importance.
GPS Coordinates : 34°27’15.08” S | 20°23’58.63” E
- Conservation Fee: R40.00 per person. Applies to day visitors and overnight guests. Free to WILDCARD Members
- The Reserve gate times 7am to 6pm; and 7am to 7pm on Fridays. Late or early arrival by arrangement with management – extra cost.
- Self-drive from Cape Town: Take N2 to Caledon. From Caledon drive through Napier to Bredasdorp. From Bredasdorp take the R319 to Swellendam. At about 6kms turn right – sign posted De Hoop / Malagas / Infanta. Gravel road for 35kms until you see a sign to the right – De Hoop Nature Reserve.
- Self-drive from Swellendam: drive on N2 for 13km in the direction of Cape Town, turn left onto gravel road, signed Spitskop. Continue on this road for about 45km until you reach a T-junction. Turn left at the T-junction signed Malgas / Infanta and travel approx 2km before you turn right onto the De Hoop Pad signed BUCHU BUSHCAMP / DE HOOP. It is 7km from this turn off to the Main Gate of the Park and a further 8km to the office.
- All the roads in the reserve are also gravel except for a short tarred section at the entrance.
De Hoop Airstrip Operational Procedures & Guidelines
Download our Fact Sheet
Download the De Hoop Collection Fact Sheet here.